Thursday, January 15, 2009

More On The Prussian Guards

It is very difficult to find much information about the Prussian Guards; I have only been able to find fragments on the internet.

The best was this short article written by one of the Moderators at the Axis History Forum.

I wish I was able to find more information, but the Pickelhaube Forum said there are no Prussian Guard histories that are in English.

I imagine there is something about them, somewhere in English. Perhaps a history on some university book shelf, somewhere.

But I will just have to make due with, predominately, this.


And I'm not sure if by August, 1916, if the 2nd Prussian Reserve regiment ranks still included Reservists who had been in the Prussian Guard, or was it now predominately made up of draftees or young men?

Charles Bean, the Australian Official Historian seems to indicate most of the Prussian Guard Reservist POWS were lanky, young men.

However, this regiment, though of Reservists, is credited with maintaining its elite fighting force capability throughout the First World War, by the Germans and the Allies.

No comments: