Wednesday, July 29, 2009

British Companion Book To 'All Quiet On The Western Front'

I have never heard of this British novel before which was published in 1929, but I found out about it at the Great War Forum while researching ambulances.

Remarque did write two sequels to 'All Quiet On The Western Front'; 'The Road Back', which portrayed the story of a former German soldier during the immediate post-war period.

The third book of was 'Three Comrades' which I never read (I have read 'The Road Back' and it is a very good novel), but I understand the novel is about three former German soldiers who own a mechanics garage and one of them adopts a child.


For a good idea of what an ambulance driver's work was like, try reading 'Not so Quiet... Stepdaughters of War' by Helen Zenna Smith (Evadne Price).

It's a novel, but it was based on the diaries of Winifred Young, an ambulance driver at the Front.

Young allowed Price to use her diaries on the condition that she produced a story that was faithful to them.

It's a remarkable book, intended to be a companion to 'All Quiet on the Western Front', which had appeared the year before, in 1929.



While I am on the subject of Erich Maria Remarque, I would also like to recommend his novel 'Flotsam and Jetsam' which was about the plight of refugees and a Jewish family in pre-WWII Europe. A great novel!

No comments: