Sunday, August 10, 2008

Iron Europe II

I'm really just posting this here top keep a record of the messages we sent; I don't have a Microsoft Office program yet:

CrazyThumbs, to speak frankly, and I'm sorry to sound unpleasant, but really I don't know what you did with this. blink.gif

We had everything up here; now, I can't remember it all, but we had quotes from Linoleum describing the Barbed Wire at the Somme; I had information about the German's use of Barbed Wire during WWI, some additional trench maps, a website with a Somme photo archive, also a link to photos of the Somme which I had collected, and there was that Pierre's Western Front web site that showed photos of Gommecourt and some of the German Bunkers that were there.

(sigh) Bozemoy . . .


I went through the entire thread, and deleted all the posts that, at least I felt, we didn't need. The main post was revised while discussion was going on in this thread and updated accordingly. I made a completely new and accurate sketch of the map, trench lines are all taken from maps, barbed wire, (showing how deep it should be underneath the picture), and stuff like that.

Almost all the useful information we have for the map is included in that first post, and other info that got deleted but isn't in the first post, is posted somewhere else on this site. Your links about barbed wire and German trenches are in the historical section, and I'd imagine any extra Somme photos are in there to.


QUOTE
I mean, we could spend very little time researching the maps, and just make something and call it Loos or Zeebruge Raid, but that isn't the RO realism tradition, and, I don't think, is going to make a great or interesting map.

That seems to me more Battlefield 1918 style (I like their Mod a lot; but their Langemarck is going to nothing like ours).



? I copied the trench maps as exact as possible, I took in to account the slope of the battlefield, the no mans land distance is not an estimation.
The information you posted, was general maps, then we discussed barbed wire (which I updated into the sketch/thread), German trenches with links (which we have in the historical section), we never came to a conclusion about pillboxes and bunkers, and some other assorted pictures.
We didn't cover unit histories, or work on the general history for Gommecourt.
What's in the first post is all the info we really have, that hasn't been posted in other places.





QUOTE
And also, to level just some gentle criticism, your Introduction (so far) doesn't explain to our hypothetically player who doesn't know anything about WWI (and there will be many in the U.S. and other parts of the world) why this attack was launched and what was its significance for the First World War. Try and make it sound exciting and sad.

You don't have to write the full Intros like I'm doing for the maps I've researched, although I encourage people who are writing Intros to do so; most people in the U.S. and elsewhere don't know about these battles, and, yes, that includes even a major pivitol event like the Somme.

Maybe you should look at DH's Intro for Pegasus Bridge (Beneoville, whatever).

I think that was the best one DH wrote and use that as a model (they didn't write Intros for all their maps). I also like the Leningrad Intro for vanilla RO.

If you just want a bare bones Introduction with little information, you could do that, but I don't see how that excites people about playing this map or about WWI or makes them interested in playing this map and the Mod.

I mean, this is probably the most significant battle and event of WWI; maybe not strategically speaking (who knows, I'm not military expert), but at least, for the British, from a cultural and remembrance perspective; people from all across the British world were there.



"*Temporary, will be revised later (probably by me)" -taken from the first post. I know the intro right now sucks, and you told me I should work on it, which I agreed, and I'm still going to. It's just not critical to get the intro down right now.

No comments: